The thought behind The Green House is to let tourists experience the local way of living in Ghana and by doing this to let the local people of Karimenga profit of the guest house. The Green House is not like an expensive hotel, we do not have any room with air-conditioning or even a fan.
Why not? Just because we would like you to experience the local way of living. But don’t be afraid! The rooms are well ventilated and are actually even quite cool!
So come around, stay a while and enjoy a comfortable way of experiencing the local way of living!
Besides the use of a guest house as a sleeping place, we think it is also nice to experience the local way of living by doing activities in and around Karimenga. The list of activities we organize:
- Village tour with a visit to the chief
- Herbal tour
- Fishing in the White Volta River
- Visiting farmers
- Visit a sooth sayer
- Bird watching tour
- Drumming lessons
- Fun games (with the youth): football, badminton, volleyball, oware
- Story telling
- Bicycle rent
- Learn how to weave a traditional basket
- Learn how to prepare sheanut butter
Also our food is local, if you want to. You can choose if you would like to eat local food (T.Z., Yam, Fufu, etc.) or you can choose to eat some simple European dishes (spaghetti, potato chips). It is up to you!
The Green House, as the guest house in Karimenga is called, is a pro-poor tourism project. This means that the profit made by the guest house, goes mainly to the community of Karimenga. This money is used for two main purposes:
1. The savings account for the youth of Karimenga, of which The Green House finances the school fees of the Secondary Senior School for some of the youth of Karimenga
2. The bonus salary for the staff members of The Greenhouse